Artist In Residence Program • Accommodations • Inquiries and Booking • Student Testimonials
We are currently accepting reservations for Summer, 2013.
Summer 2013 Schedule
|Available in June, 2013||Available in July, 2013||Available in August, 2013|
June 9th - 13th
July 1st - 5th
August 5th - 9th
Summer 2014 Schedule
|Available in June, 2014||Available in July, 2014||Available in August, 2014|
June 9th - 13th CLOSED
July 14th - 18th
August 4th - 8th
1 week at Studio Borgo (5 days, Mon-Fri) - $925
2 weeks at Studio Borgo (10 days, Mon-Fri) - $1850
Hotel Universo Cost - 79euros - 100euros per night
(depending on the month)
We recommend arriving one day before your workshop and
leaving one day after your workshop, totalling 6 days and 6 nights in Lucca. Of course, if you choose to, you can stay longer at Hotel Universo at the Studio Borgo discounted rate.
For example, if you arrived in Italy on a Sunday for a one week
workshop and left Italy on Saturday:
Your workshop would cost $925 + 6 nights at Hotel Universo.
What is Included?
Prices listed above include:
- Orientation at Hotel Universo with a free glass of wine
or cup of coffee.
- All art supplies and materials (excludes paint brushes).
- Art Instruction.
- Use of the art studio (always temperature controlled and comfortable with air conditioning in the warmer months
and heat for the colder seasons).
- Five train tickets to and from Borgo a Mozzano and the city of Lucca (for artists staying in the city of Lucca).
- Admission to Palazzo Pfanner.
- Lunch at the studio on Monday, Tuesday and Friday.
- Breakfast is included every morning at Hotel Universo.
How To Book Your Workshop
1. Choose one or two weeks from the dates listed above.
2. Click on the "Book your workshop now!" button below which will take you to the reservations page where you can send us an email or simply send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include:
- Your name
- The week or weeks you
would like to book your workshop
(See schedule above)
3. Once we have confirmed these dates with you, we will send you a Paypal invoice where you can pay using a
credit card (You don't need a Paypal account). After your payment is complete, we will send you a special student
code to book Hotel Universo.
|If you have any questions, feel free to email us at email@example.com|
What Happens Next?
1. Book your flight to Pisa, Galileo Galilei Airport (Pisa International Airport).
2. In the months approaching your workshop, you will receive a Workshop Itinerary PDF and a Guide to Lucca PDF via email which will explain how to get to Hotel Universo from Pisa.
3. The Sunday evening before your workshop begins, you are invited to attend a brief Workshop Orientation with Tom Ruggio at Hotel Universo (mentioned in the Workshop Itinerary PDF). You'll discuss your week at the workshop while enjoying a complimentary glass of wine or cup of coffee.
Just Bring Your Brushes!
Either a small set of high quality bristle brushes or an inexpensive set of long handle, nylon brushes will do just fine.
We recommend a range of approximately four brushes: large flat, medium flat, medium round and either a smaller flat
or round brush.
All other painting and drawing supplies and materials are provided to you at Studio Borgo.
About the Workshop Classes
All workshops are Monday-Friday from 9am - 2pm with a 45 minute lunch. Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays are in the Studio at Borgo a Mozzano. On Tuesdays and Wednesdays, students will enjoy historic art excursions in the city of Lucca. Studio Borgo tailors workshops according to the desired media each student prefers to work in including:
Drawing with graphite, charcoal, conte crayon and/or pastel
Painting with Oil or acrylic
Artists and/or students of all skills levels have the opportunity to learn and create at Studio Borgo. Your instructor will help you reach your next level in one of the truly great inspirational environments on earth.
Because we are in beautiful Lucca, Italy, we also have the added benefit of being able to view the surrounding artwork and historic sights which will contribute greatly to your learning experience. There is also tremendous value in the discussion and critique of work, so our classes include all of these facets of study to complete our well rounded and exciting program.
Learning Drawing in Italy
In the early 16th Century, Michelangelo and Leonardo Da Vinci faced off in a competitive commission that resulted in amazing drawing studies for the Council Hall at the Palazzo Vecchio. Those great works helped to elevate drawing as a true art form, rather than merely a prelude to painting and sculpture.
At Studio Borgo, we will cover drawing subjects such as still-life, the figure and working from the Old Masters, a respected tradition since the earliest days of academic art training. Available drawing media includes pencil, charcoal, conte crayon and chalk pastel. All drawing supplies are provided by Studio Borgo.
Learning Painting in Italy
Our lessons in still-life and landscape will prove to be both challenging and enjoyable for all levels: beginners, intermediate and advanced. Newcomers to painting will discover the importance of a process that allows for the necessary evolution to take place...shapes becoming forms and then, the eventual conveying of detailed information.
The more seasoned artist will look to our experienced art instructors to provide invaluable support that will foster and cultivate their own unique vision.
At Studio Borgo, you will have access to oil paint
Learning To Use Color Successfully
The best methods for mixing color will certainly be discussed and put into practice on our painting days. For those who want to learn even more about successfully working with color, students will have access to color chalk pastel on drawing days in the Borgo a Mozzano studio. Whether you are seeking an understanding of the realist palette or ways to create more expression and emphasis, the art of controlling color will be thoroughly explored.
|To schedule classes or if you have any questions, please fill out our Inquiries and Bookings page, send us an email, or call our office at +1 347-909-1219. Please note that some classes may have waiting lists.|